For the last six years I have been riding my bike 10 miles each way to work, 2-3 times a week from May thru October. I start in Linden Hills and end at University and 280 in St. Paul. I first started threading my way along glass strewn streets and sidewalks, but now I can go to work almost all along designated bike paths. I am not young and there are no official shower facilities when I get to work. Nevertheless, it has become a sign of spring that I look forward to every year. Here are ten reasons why:
10. I get two hours of aerobic exercise three times per week in place of regular car commute time.
9. It made it easy to lose ten pounds last year, allowing me to keep my blood pressure just low enough to avoid a second blood pressure medicine.
8. I get to listen to two hours of my favorite music.
7. It’s safer than Prozac-it elevates my mood so much that I often find myself smiling for no apparent reason at mile nine.
6. It’s an antidote to my sedentary job.
5. There’s no idling in traffic or road rage.
4. I have a new appreciation for the sights and smells of spring, summer and fall.
3. I can go at my own pace, so I don’t work up such a sweat that I need a shower at work.
2. I save money by not buying as much gas.
1. I rejoice everyday at how community-spirited folks have united to make the Greenway available to everyone-Mexican moms with kids on trikes, Somali youth learning to roller blade, serious bikers, Hmong raspberry harvesters, senior walking stick hiking clubs, Peace Coffee distributors (It’s delivered by bicycle!)
Try it! You won’t regret it!